Raw Coronation Cauliflower Recipe



I've gone a bit cauliflower crazy lately.  I posted another entree for a Raw Tagine last week.  I just hope you are as keen on the pale, crunchy brassica as I am!   Another raw recipe for you.  Who wants to put the oven on when it is hot outside, right?

This recipe is simple to prepare. You do need to soak the cashews for the creamy 'coronation' sauce prior to making the dish, but that is hardly a chore!  I thought the combination of rich sauce combined with the lightness of the vegetable would create a lovely combo.
The idea came from Coronation Chicken, a recipe of cold chicken and creamy curry sauce. According to Wikipedia it was invented in 1953 by English food writer,  Constance Spry and Rosemary Hume, a chef, whist creating the menu for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

Cauliflower is low in fat, low carb and packed with lots of fibre.  High in phytochemicals with Indole-3-carbinol, that actually enhances DNA repair (phyto=plant in Greek).   Keeping it raw retains all of these fabulous nutrients that would diminish during cooking.


Raw Coronation 
Cauliflower





Serves 2 for a light lunch




Ingredients
1 cauliflower (size depends on your appetite and the veg to sauce ratio YOU like.. mine was a pretty hefty fella)
1/2 cup cashew nuts - soaked for at least 4 hours (this turns off the enzyme inhibitors and makes them easy to digest)
paprika
1 1/2 tsp curry powder (I use Juliet Mae - Cool vindaloo when I'm in the USA - I think it is the best.  It is mellow and warm and doesn't have the acidity that some curry powders have)
2 Tbs raisins (soak them for 10 mins in warm water to plump)
squeeze of lemon juice (1 tsp)
squeeze of lime (1 Tbs if you are measuring)
1 tsp lime zest
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 small clove minced garlic
salt & pepper to taste.  I'm partial to white pepper in this dish.

Method
1.cut the florets into bite size pieces
2. rinse the cashews and blend until smooth and creamy.  Decant into a mixing bowl.
3. add the remaining ingredients to the cashew mix, along with the cauliflower and mix well to ensure full coverage.  Leave flavours to develop for at least 10 mins.  Serve at room temperature.

That's it!

I'm sure that isn't the last you've heard from me on the cauliflower front

bye for now

India Leigh  x

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...