BBC Radio 4 - Talks Veganism on the Food Programme




Veganism is now being spoken about on the  Radio 4 Food Programme.   I see this as a huge step forward for the UK.  This country is slow to change.  It lags behind many parts of the US and Germany (who now seem to be leading the way, in Europe at least).   Is it Mark Bitman (American best selling cookbook author) and his well documented shift to veganism that is making 'mainstream' sit up and take note?  Even if his rule is Vegan Before 6pm.  He's come out, written a recipe book about it.  VB6.

The programme, gave a fair compilation of veganism, now and then.  The programme has a few, previously unheard, snippets of an interview with Donald Watson, the father of veganism.

Food culture writer Alex Renton spoke of his U-turn views on veganism and how he now embraces the idea of a vegan lifestyle.  I was sickened when he told the interviewer Shelia Dillon, about GMO meat and how they are breading rats to still feel pain but not be scared by it.  The intention to make 'feed animals' for humans who don't feel pain! Crazy attempt to make meat eaters feel less guilty. But an admittance at least that ANIMALS DO FEEL PAIN.  As Paul McCartney so poignantly put it, 'what if slaughter houses and farms had glass walls'?

Our very own Fat Gay Vegan, took Shelia Dillon around a food filled hall at a Vegan Potluck recently.  You could hear the surprise in her voice as she witnessed vegans feasting on inventive and delicious food.  Historian John Davis told us how the internet is having a huge impact on veganism.  In 2012 the word VEGAN overtook the term Vegetarian in internet searches.

I've long heard about the upsurge in Veganism in Germany, and more specifically Berlin.  In two weeks, I will be in Berlin to investigate further.  I will be sending you news.  With 4 totally vegan stores in Germany (3 in Berlin) and 20 stores planned across Europe by 2015.  Founder of Veganz, Jan Bredack is someone to watch.

Another Brit, Alex Bourke, author of Vegetarian Guides, was interviewed also.  He shot us a few new terms for vegans with different focuses.  Apparently, I am a gleegan (gluten free vegan), and I never knew!

Have a listen.  What do you think of the interview?  Let us know 'post a comment'.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello India-Leigh,

I quite enjoyed listening to the radio 4 programme this morning. I got back from Berlin a month ago and decided that I would go from vegetarian to vegan. I felt inspired by all of the different vegan cafes and places to eat. I hope London follows suit soon. Damien

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I quite enjoyed the programme. Going to Berlin last month was the thing which finally convinced me to go from vegetarian to vegan. Everyone I met was either vegetarian or vegan and there was a real culture of eating out at vegan places. I haven't regretted it for one second and as I am feeling better than ever. Damien

Unknown said...

Hi,

I quite enjoyed the programme. Going to Berlin last month was the thing which finally convinced me to go from vegetarian to vegan. Everyone I met was either vegetarian or vegan and there was a real culture of eating out at vegan places. I haven't regretted it for one second and as I am feeling better than ever. Damien

india leigh said...

@Damien Clarkson

Hi Damien,
Thanks for stopping by and sharing about your trip to Berlin, I am even more excited to go now! What was your favourite restaurant? Do you have any idea why so many Berliners are chaining to a vegan lifestyle? Exciting!
India :)

india leigh said...

@damienclarkson

Hi Damien,
I'm glad you enjoyed the programme too. I thought that it just being on the BBC was a huge step forward. So happy to hear you are feeling better because of the change!
India :)

Annastasia said...

Looking forward to hearing about vegan Berlin. I have a trip planned for 2014.

india leigh said...

@Midori Green

Hi Midori,

Thanks for stopping by! How exciting, you are planning a trip to Berlin too. Is it the vegan food pulling you over there? I will tell you all that I find.
:)

chow vegan said...

Good to hear the UK is starting to get on board. Looking forward to reading about your Berlin trip. :-)

india leigh said...

@chow vegan

Hi Chow, yes it is a big step forward I think. The Berlin trip is less than two weeks away. Excited!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...