Glazed Cherry Scones [allergy friendly recipe]


Annie, loves baking and loves using well known British confections to add interest to her bakes.  It's all a bit horrifying for a vegan health freak.  It had me running, screaming for cover by my power juicer!  Annie has long lists of sweet and original recipes on her blog, with helpful step by step photography.  Who's Annie? you may ask.  She is Annie of Annie's Noms  And she was my cooking pal for this months Secret Recipe Club.  I know, where did the last month go? It flew!

I'm  currently getting ready to move, and I'm gradually munching through my food stores so I don't have to pack, or worse still waste any.  I didn't want to go out and buy any more food, so I chose a recipe based on both having the ingredients in my cupboard already and well, greed. I fancied scones.  I'd not had a scone for years. I hate moving. I deserve scones!

As you probably know by now, I'm gluten and sugar free as well as vegan.  A road my body has forced me down, rather like a culinary sheep dog, herding 'safe foods' into a pen. So, therefore, I had to change this recipe up.  I kept the basic concept though.  Cherry scones.

For the original recipe Annie's Cherry Scones.  

My changed up, gluten free, egg free and dairy free scones. Baked with rich caramely, coconut sugar for a golden scone.  I used stevia too, to make it low calorie and Low GI.




Cherry Scones
makes 8 scones

ingredients
1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar ( 2 tbs coconut sugar & 2 tbs stevia)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
5 tbs vegan butter
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla powder
4 tbs dried, fruit sweetened cherries
1/2 tsp salt

glaze
4 tbs stevia powder (use your coffee grinder)
water or non-dairy milk

method
preheat oven to 200 degrees

1.sift the flours, salt and baking powder/soda into a large mixing bowl.  Add the sugar and vanilla powder. Drop in the dried cherries.
2. chop in the chilled vegan butter with a knife.  Cut in the fat until it is the size of garden peas, or those sherbet pips that made you hyper when you were a child.  
3. pour in the chilled non-dairy milk.  Mix lightly until incorporated and can form a dough.
4. put the dough onto parchment paper, on top of your baking sheet.  Pat or roll to a circle about an inch thick.  Use a long sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut to 8 triangles.  Pop in the oven. Brush tops with a little non-dairy milk. Bake 18-20 mins, until slightly golden.  Remove, and gently pop onto a baking rack to cool.  Don't touch until cool (helps to hold them together).  They are wonderfully sweet & crumbly.  You can use a 1/4 tsp xanthum gum if you want them to hold together a bit more boldly.
4. make the sugar glaze.  Powder the stevia in a coffee grinder.  Mix with enough water to make  a slightly runny paste.  Drizzle with all the artistic flare you can muster.





My mother had been bemoaning the boring breakfasts she'd been making for years (she does tend to stick with what she knows…for years). I took a tub of the scones with me when I visited her this weekend.  On Saturday morning I presented her with my fresh homemade scones and she scoffed them with gusto, alongside her morning tea.  She's already wanting more and getting all creative with it.  What have I unleashed!  Next time she wants walnuts baked inside with 'fresh' cherries.  So demanding!


18 comments:

Debra Eliotseats said...

These look delicious. Good luck moving. :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

These look delicious! Great SRC pick this month!

india leigh said...

@Debbi Does Dinner Healthy

Hi Debbi, thanks for stopping by! :)

Gloria Baker said...

these cherry scones look amazing!!!

Unknown said...

mmmmmmmmmm love scones! These look absolutely scrumptious!

Jen @JuanitasCocina said...

These look fabulous! I absolutely adore scones!

india leigh said...

@Debra Eliotseats

aw. thanks Debra! :)

india leigh said...

@Gloria Baker

Hi Gloria,

Thanks for stopping by! And thanks for complimenting my scones. :)

india leigh said...

@Chelsy Ethridge

lol! Thanks Chelsy! :)

india leigh said...

@Jen @JuanitasCocina

Thanks Jen! :)

Karen - Cinnamon Freud said...

These look great- I love scones! Kudos for a vegan adaptation

Bubbe Bites said...

Your scones looks absolutely amazing. I love the colors… my daughter will go crazy over this one.

india leigh said...

@Karen - Cinnamon Freud

Thank you Karen! :)

india leigh said...

@Veronica Gantley

Hi Veronica, Thank you. I hope your daughter loves them.

Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice said...

Ahh, I am both a scone lover and a cherry lover so will be baking these for sure at some point!

india leigh said...

@Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice

Hey Deanna, it has two chances of pleasing you! I hope you love the scones. :)

Joey said...

Good luck with the moving - the scones look like perfect stress relief! The walnuts and fresh cherries idea sounds pretty gorgeous too. More scones are needed!

india leigh said...

@Joey

Hi Joey,
Thanks for commenting! Aw, you are so sweet, and yes, 2 batches have now been baked (and eaten) for stress relief!! I added the walnuts 2nd time and they were really lovely.
Let me know if you try them yourself.
India :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...