Gluten Free Pizza Bases & Flatbreads - Allergy Friendly


























Chewy bread with oh so satisfying pullapartedness and a oily, crunchy outer layer…I've salivated over the memory of it, enjoyed on a Friday night after work, alongside a pizza, way, way back in my butter and wheat eating days.  When the after effects of 'pizza night' made it loose it's appeal, I surrendered myself to the reality that I'd just have to go without.  Of course, I could have made it myself but, to be honest, back then, I didn't believe it would come up to scratch so I didn't bother.  Also, back then, I didn't cook.  I was a microwave queen.
A couple of weeks ago, I went to a Free From food show, and spotted one of the stands handing out small round pizzas to a very excited crowd. The fragrance of caramelised garlic and dough was blowing my mind.  I grabbed a slice. I encountered that familiar tug of war between teeth and bread.  It was chewy, with a gorgeously flaky crust, infused with garlic and sweet tomato sauce.  I was in HEAVEN!  

Just who were making this product…and how?! Please take a bow - Venice Bakery UK

The folks from this bakery have recently partnered with the, family owned, original bakery, founded in California back in the 50's. They made the outstanding decision to share their Coeliac (celiac) UK approved flatbreads and pizzas over here in Blighty.  And I am mighty pleased about that.

Gluten free
Wheat free
Soy free
Dairy free
Egg free
Corn free

VEGETARIAN & VEGAN friendly

Their products are also trans fats free, non-GMO, and are free from culinary gums and E numbers.  Are you falling in love yet?  I am!

They have a long shelf life. If you travel a whole bunch and, like me, pack a little pantry of food in your suitcase to tide you over until you track down the whole foods store, then these are perfect, too.  They are vacuum packed and last for 2 months.  And longer, if chilled or frozen.  

I smothered my pizza base in tomato concentrate, a grinding of black pepper and a few basil leaves. Nothing else.  The base is so nicely seasoned and flavoured, it is gorgeous as is, or with minimal adornment.  The flatbread I just drizzled in extra virgin olive oil, scrubbed over with a garlic clove, and topped with fresh rosemary.


Ingredients: Rice flour, tapioca flour, potato flakes, potato start, water, evaporated cane sugar, olive oil, fresh yeast & salt.

My only gripe is that the products contain sugar (for those of you who have not yet quit sugar then no need to worry) but according to Rachel of Freshly Baked sugar is not necessary to make bread, it just makes it prove more quickly but she thinks the flavour develops the longer the yeast gets to hang out.  I rarely eat sugar. It can knock me off balance. The way I see it is this, on occasion (keep it special) it is ok.  The fact that I have found a pizza base that is gluten free, trans fat free and vegan, is a bloody dream come true!  Also,  now I know it can be done.  I will try and replicate it when I get time.  But right now I don't have to as someone has done it for me.  This isn't your typical, 'make allowances because it's gluten free' product.  It is top notch.

It is sold to the UK online from Venice Bakery   3 x 5inch bases are £3.39.  They have an offer for a sampler pack for £10, saving of just under £5.  If you are in the US then you can order it from their Venice Bakery USA store online.
















Have you come across any vegan and gluten free products lately, you want to tell us about?  Please let us know and click on the post a comment tab below.

1 comment:

chow vegan said...

So happy for you to find a good gluten-free pizza crust! It sure looks yummy! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...