One of the reasons I flew to Berlin was to visit the vegan supermarkets I had been hearing so much about. One I couldn't wait to step over the threshold of was Dr. Pogo. A vegan collective, out in the hip, bohemian district of Neukolln, Berlin (think vintage stores and scores of independent coffee houses).
I'd scribbled directions on scrap of paper and headed out, confident of my city orienteering skills. It was 7pm, plenty of time, as they were open until 8. I'm not going to go into the whole long drawn out process of walking around in a big circle and getting lost and chasing the proverbial 'wild goose', but I arrived as the lights were being flicked off and the clock ticked past 8pm. I pleaded in English. I know, how rude, but in my flustered state I couldn't muster a single word in Duetshe. I was in luck though. Steffen, one of the 11 Kollectiv that make up Dr.Pogo, was happy to let me have a quick look around. I bought some locally made tofu and a baby cucumber and left with a promise to return.
Next time I was prepared. I had wheels. I was on my newly purchased(old) bike. I found the store with ease, and this time, Steffan had agreed to take a break and chat with me.
Three years ago, Steffen, baseball-capped and fresh faced, was a film maker. In late 2012 he packed it all in and joined a mixed group of men and women. Their mission, to fill a gap left by a previous, much loved, vegan store, and open their own shop and serve the pining clientele.
With no previous shop owning experience (though a few of them had worked in some) they rented a store space, cobbled together their own shelving and counters, and in January 2013, opened their doors to the people of Berlin.
Each of 11 bring their individual strengths, to make the whole. Steffan says they work well together and are a happy bunch. All dedicated vegans.
The store is well stocked and the products are carefully chosen. Most come from Europe, a few from further afield. Wanting to be sustainable and connected with their community, they try and include as much local products as possible. A big baking pan displays home cooked vegan pizza, made locally. Inviting looking cakes and pastries line the wooden counter. All made by local friends. The tofu from Soy Rebels, it turned out, was the best I've ever eaten. Super firm, smokey and with a good dry texture.
The store has a well stocked bulk section, fresh produce, raw items, cosmetics, vegan condoms, cleaning products, books, a long row of chilled products; cheeses, fake meats. Ice creams. Everything you could want, and all vegan. They are even a pick up point for CSA veggie boxes All the new product names and labels made my head spin. I want to try everything!
They have a small, intimate space in the corner to sit, have something to eat and drink and pass some time.
As we chatted, a steady flow of people came in and then left, laden with vegan goods. Steffen tells me some of their local customers didn't even realise the store was meat-free until they'd visited many times. Their customers, Steffen tells me, come from all walks of life. Their primary goals differ; the organico's, the localvores, the ecovists, or the mamas and papas who want the best for their kids. Those with a (glutenfrei) gluten free diet. The vegans can be oriented from a number of ways too. He see's the fitness/health vegans, the animal activist vegans, the ethical or the sustainability crowd. All coming to the same conclusion that vegan is best. All are welcome. The store has a comforting, old fashioned (from the UK perspective anyway) feel about it. Just like buying your stuff from friends.
As with the theme of most collectives, they all pay themselves the same. No hierarchy exists. They currently habour no dreams of world domination, and are happy with the way things are. I see this in Steffan. He is a guy with much contentment.
After they opened in January 2013 (despite well meaning friends saying it would take at least 2 years to get off the ground) the store was thriving. The people just came. It makes me want to live in Berlin. Learn German. Bump up the Kollectiv from 11 to 12.
I ask Steffen where he likes to hang out when he is not working in the store. He tells me of a collective of groups from locations all over Berlin that, on any given night, serve up food to those who seek it. Voku (short for Volks Kuchen…translated: Peoples Kitchen) list many vegan happenings in Project Houses. I hope to try at least one during my stay.
additional info:
pizza supplied from Sfizyveg.de
Cakes and treats from Majas Deli
For a list of Berlin Kollectiv's
Neukolln has a number of vegan restaurants and cafes. I will be hopefully getting around to visiting them all! Are you signed up for emails? Make sure you don't miss out on future reviews..and, at some point when the trip is done, recipes!
I'd scribbled directions on scrap of paper and headed out, confident of my city orienteering skills. It was 7pm, plenty of time, as they were open until 8. I'm not going to go into the whole long drawn out process of walking around in a big circle and getting lost and chasing the proverbial 'wild goose', but I arrived as the lights were being flicked off and the clock ticked past 8pm. I pleaded in English. I know, how rude, but in my flustered state I couldn't muster a single word in Duetshe. I was in luck though. Steffen, one of the 11 Kollectiv that make up Dr.Pogo, was happy to let me have a quick look around. I bought some locally made tofu and a baby cucumber and left with a promise to return.
Next time I was prepared. I had wheels. I was on my newly purchased(old) bike. I found the store with ease, and this time, Steffan had agreed to take a break and chat with me.
Three years ago, Steffen, baseball-capped and fresh faced, was a film maker. In late 2012 he packed it all in and joined a mixed group of men and women. Their mission, to fill a gap left by a previous, much loved, vegan store, and open their own shop and serve the pining clientele.
With no previous shop owning experience (though a few of them had worked in some) they rented a store space, cobbled together their own shelving and counters, and in January 2013, opened their doors to the people of Berlin.
Each of 11 bring their individual strengths, to make the whole. Steffan says they work well together and are a happy bunch. All dedicated vegans.
The store is well stocked and the products are carefully chosen. Most come from Europe, a few from further afield. Wanting to be sustainable and connected with their community, they try and include as much local products as possible. A big baking pan displays home cooked vegan pizza, made locally. Inviting looking cakes and pastries line the wooden counter. All made by local friends. The tofu from Soy Rebels, it turned out, was the best I've ever eaten. Super firm, smokey and with a good dry texture.
The store has a well stocked bulk section, fresh produce, raw items, cosmetics, vegan condoms, cleaning products, books, a long row of chilled products; cheeses, fake meats. Ice creams. Everything you could want, and all vegan. They are even a pick up point for CSA veggie boxes All the new product names and labels made my head spin. I want to try everything!
They have a small, intimate space in the corner to sit, have something to eat and drink and pass some time.
As we chatted, a steady flow of people came in and then left, laden with vegan goods. Steffen tells me some of their local customers didn't even realise the store was meat-free until they'd visited many times. Their customers, Steffen tells me, come from all walks of life. Their primary goals differ; the organico's, the localvores, the ecovists, or the mamas and papas who want the best for their kids. Those with a (glutenfrei) gluten free diet. The vegans can be oriented from a number of ways too. He see's the fitness/health vegans, the animal activist vegans, the ethical or the sustainability crowd. All coming to the same conclusion that vegan is best. All are welcome. The store has a comforting, old fashioned (from the UK perspective anyway) feel about it. Just like buying your stuff from friends.
As with the theme of most collectives, they all pay themselves the same. No hierarchy exists. They currently habour no dreams of world domination, and are happy with the way things are. I see this in Steffan. He is a guy with much contentment.
After they opened in January 2013 (despite well meaning friends saying it would take at least 2 years to get off the ground) the store was thriving. The people just came. It makes me want to live in Berlin. Learn German. Bump up the Kollectiv from 11 to 12.
I ask Steffen where he likes to hang out when he is not working in the store. He tells me of a collective of groups from locations all over Berlin that, on any given night, serve up food to those who seek it. Voku (short for Volks Kuchen…translated: Peoples Kitchen) list many vegan happenings in Project Houses. I hope to try at least one during my stay.
additional info:
pizza supplied from Sfizyveg.de
Cakes and treats from Majas Deli
Karl-Marx-Platz 24
12043 Berlin
Closest U-Bahn: Karl Marx Strasse
Closed (geschlossen) on Sundays (as most stores seem to be in Berlin).
For a list of Berlin Kollectiv's
Neukolln has a number of vegan restaurants and cafes. I will be hopefully getting around to visiting them all! Are you signed up for emails? Make sure you don't miss out on future reviews..and, at some point when the trip is done, recipes!



No comments:
Post a Comment