Yes. Looks are not deceiving (not in this case anyhow) that is a kebab spit. And yes, this is a vegan blog. And yes, that is a vegan doner kebab.
Vöner (pronounced vooner…but then their V's sound a bit like an English language F..so it might be more like ..fooner?! yes, I'm still confused too), is another vegan joint in Friedrichshain, Berlin.
I'd read so much about this place on Happy Cow, I had to try it out. The staff were quite friendly and the menu is in both German and English.
After a little ingredient checking I was to discover that, sadly, I couldn't have the doner kebab as it is not gluten free but it looked so good. The burger, however, is gluten free, so I ordered that, along with fries and salad. They also had gluten free goulash which I sampled and was delicious, and standard fast food fair such as nuggets in addition to the doner and burgers. For afters they had squares of fudgey brownies.
A steady stream flowed in an out as I waited. It smelled so good in there. A lot of people were getting their orders to go. Watching all this food in front of me, I has so hungry when mine arrived. It was a generous portion. The burger was moist and quite 'meaty' (whatever that means..I guess I'd say it had the presence of umami). The salad was made up of crispy iceberg lettuce, toms, cucumber wedges and a little sprinkling of pumpkin seeds. The fries were dusted with chilli and were delicious. I also had fried onions as an extra. They had a peanut sauce,, a vegan cheese sauce, and a tahini sauce. All had gluten in from the soya sauce (please, start using wheat free tamari!), so I had lashings of chilli tomato sauce. I enjoyed it for what it was. Good, fast food. Great for when a junk food craving strikes.
Good for vegans, vegetarians, AND sure to be an eye opener for meat eaters.

I guess I liked it then!
Boxhagener Straße 56, 10245 Berlin
closest S-Bahn is Ostkreuz
closest U-Bahn is Frankfurter Allee




4 comments:
I know that feeling when something looks and smells so good — it's vegan and you want it, but it has gluten. Sigh. And, I agree, ditch the soy sauce and use tamari. Maybe it's too expensive, or do people just not realize there's a GF alternative? We ate in an Asian restaurant that had GF on the menu, but they made the dishes GF by leaving off the soy sauce. Bleh.
@Andrea
Hey Andrea, thanks for stopping by. When were you in Berlin? Perhaps the gluten free thing hasn't filtered down yet. I guess the more of us keep on asking the more they'll consider it. We should get a deal with a tamari producer, get them to give up free bottles and we leave as a gift at restaurants who use the demon wheat in their soy sauce!
I miss Berlin! I used to live there before i became plant based vegan. Now it seems that it has all the perks. London is still sluggish on its vegan path. But we're working on that! Love your blog!
@Denisa. SecondNature
Hello Denisa! Thanks for saying hi. Yes, London has it's vegan eateries and quite a few of them but I feel the Berlin places are so exciting!
Post a Comment