Terre a Terre Brighton

A friend was having a birthday.  I do not need an excuse to go out and eat but I thought, 'why not push the boat out?' (what on earth has that saying got to do with being extravagant?)....Anyway, so we took a stroll through the Laines to East Street in Brighton.  Destination Terre a Terre.


A vegetarian restaurant with boy, girl owners who like to create innovative dishes to challenge the tastebuds and the misconception of 'bland' veggie food (I cant believe that still exists either....)


There is a good selection of vegan dishes and gluten free options were clearly marked.  We opted to share (I hate sharing...what if she gets more than me!) the vegan, gluten free tapas.  





The picture does not do it justice....it was a smorgasbord of tastes, smells and textures (well not literally...not even slightly Swedish but you know what I mean). So creative!

It was such an experience...each selection offered such original flavours.  We really took our time to....savour.  No scoffing or wolfing to be done here.

The Carracotta was a carrot panna cotta (I know!) with tiny pickled beets, a macadamia, lemon thyme soil (hmm, not sure about calling it soil but..) it was lightly chilled and slippery smooth.  The sweetness of the carrot being off set by the pickles.  OOh, yes.

Next, I played mum and we split the smoked Sakuri Mai Fun, it tasted like Asian slaw.  Crunchy, fresh and uplifting.  They gave us 3 Raw Maki sushi rolls...(hello, its for two to share...come on Terre, do the math)  The wasabi built a little fire in my nose for a few seconds and made me laugh.  Me being me would of liked these to be larger..... to get more of an idea of the flavours...not because I'm gluttonous!

The rectangular things were subtle arepa corn cakes.  Shaken in polenta and deep fried. smizzled (like drizzled but in teeny tiny slicks) with chilli chelly (not a typo).  Lovely textures.  Thumbs up.

The twin circular creations were Uttapam.  Indian crumpet with a coconut  and coriander seed butter, and a touch of ginger pickle jam.  These were lovely and tasty, the crumpets were dense and light at the same time....? I don't know either.

The shot glasses were tomato, vodka shots. Wow!  like a cold shower... in a culinary kind of way.  Alive alive oh! 

Wine for my friend was £4.50 a glass (I don't drink and I found this a shocking price...that's the cost of a slice of cake!) The tapas was £21.

Yes, it was delicious.  No, I wasn't full afterwards.  No, I didn't order a dessert (£8..a little cheeky).  Yes, I'd go there again.  The atmosphere was great, buzzing and welcoming.  Next time, I'd eat the Tapas for Two for one...all mine! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...